Friday, January 7, 2011

"Kno" What I Mean?

I recently read about the Kno tablet at the Campus Technology site.  The Kno is another in the line of many devices attempting to make us believe their product is "THE" answer to all our problems - in this case all our portable educational technology problems. I have been exploring how people use different technologies to make higher education easier, especially ways to help non-techies with online learning.  The Kno boasts an interface with academic publishers that may make it easier to use electronic textbooks.  And, it has a two screen model that looks interesting. 

I haven't gotten my hands on one, but I would love to be able to see an electronic textbook with "pages" facing one another on the two screens, just like in a "real" textbook.  In some subjects, because of the way I learned how to learn years ago, it is important  for me to be able to scan across information and see a comprehensive picture of the information.  I like being able to see the image, figure or table referenced at the same time as I am reading about it on the next or previous page.  But, I also want to be able to select different areas or pages and put them in smaller windows to expand, minimize or move as I see fit.  I want to add my own written or verbal notes to the e-text and share them with others for collaborative learning.  Oh, and I want to use voice commands in addition to touch.  And I probably want other features that I haven't even imagined yet.  All for a buck fifty :-)

The Kno also boasts of a platform designed around touch.  My question is whether the e-text publishers have adapted their products to the technology.  I am guessing that they are probably behind the curve on this one, and it will be some time before the two are perfectly meshed.  Since the product is shipping on an invitation only basis for now, we will have to wait for one of the lucky "winners" to give us a review.  I requested an invite, but I am not sure if I will actually purchase the product if asked.  The price tag is a bit hefty for me to shell out sight-unseen.  The price point is a sticking point for many students as well - the Kno may be priced out of the current market for higher ed students.  After all, if $600 buys you a computer or tablet you can head over to BestBuy and try out versus a tablet you can't touch with limited storage capacity, which would YOU choose?  I know which way my wallet leans...

But - who knows - maybe I will be one of the uber-lucky 10 who win a free model!  If I do, I will be sure to share how it works AND how it needs improvement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment